In BC we have mandatory quarantine on all Koi entering our province. All Koi imported must have a permit to enter BC and they must be quarantined in a facility that has been approved by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO). When the Koi arrive, a DFO veterinarian must inspect them with in 48 hours of their arrival. They are held in the facility for 21 days, where they go through inspection and treatment for parasites (confirmed by microscope). After 21 days quarantine, they are inspected again by a DFO vet who signs their release for sale papers if they are happy with the health of the shipment.
Goldfish are not subject to the same quarantine laws as the Koi are, but we treat our Goldfish shipments the same anyway. They are quarantined along side the Koi in their own holding systems for 21 days minimum. WE BELIEVE SELLING YOU THE HEALTHIEST FISH POSSIBLE IS THE ONLY WAY TO DO BUSINESS!!
Because we have no way of knowing what our fish are subjected too once they leave our quarantine facility, we are unable to guarantee them for longer than 24 hours. This is the same guarantee that we receive from the fish farms.
We suggest having a cycled quarantine tank to place your new arrivals in for at least 21 days. This ensures that you can adequately monitor your new fish and they have a chance to adjust after their flight.
WE RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING
- A fully cycled filter and tank of at least 100 US gallons
- A cover for the tank, such as bird netting pulled tight (Koi like to jump out)
- One corner of the tank should be covered with a board or tarp so they can hide. This cuts down on the jumping.
- Heated water to between 74-80F degrees.
- Salted water to .3%
- PH, KH, ammonia, nitrite test kits and a salt meter.
- Feed all new arrivals sparingly for the first 24 hours. Do not feed if you have any measurable ammonia.
- Check your water parameters daily, do water changes as needed.
- After 14 days add one of your existing fish to the quarantine tank to get your new fish (and existing fish) used to different bacteria. This helps build the immunity of both new and existing fish.
WE ARE ALWAYS AVAILABLE FOR CONSULTATION IF NEEDED
If you have any fish deaths in the first 24 hours, we require a digital picture of the dead fish, with the tail cut off (dishonest people have forced us to require the tail be removed) a picture of your quarantine system and the numbers from your PH, KH, ammonia, nitrite, salt level and temperature readings.